Our Lady of Salvation Church / كنيسة سيدة الخلاص

Founded in 1889, and celebrating the holiday of this church intercessor on 15 August.

On September 3, 1886, the people of Zakrit asked from the Archbishop of the parish Joseph Al Zoghbi to build a church near their houses, and when he refused their request being includes only 34 signatures, they returned and applied a second petition carrying 70 signatures, asking his sovereignty for the permission to build a church under the name of Our Lady of Salvation. After the insistence, the permission for construction was approved, and then they returned with another document to determine the dimensions of the church, so his sovereignty allowed it with a letter of approval giving them his blessing. These two documents still reserved within the archives of the Maronite parish of Antelias. The building process was finished in year 1889 after three years of starting it; the roof was made from red brick until the town’s people in the first half of the twentieth century, about year 1925, replaced it with a semicircular roof of cement with the addition of the dome currently still present, the altar and the Schristia room. The church committee renewed the church from the inside and changed the shape of the altar after it was burned as a result of contact in the electricity wires.

It is craved at the entrance of the Church this writing: “This temple was built on the name of Our Lady of Salvation in 1897”. On 14 August 1903, the Archbishop Nemtallah Selwan devoted the church. And inside the church there’s a painting of Our Lady of Salvation which is a copy of the Madonna in Kabila Systenia -Vatican painting for the Italian artist Raffaello, transferred by the artist Djusti. It is appeared in this painting the Virgin Mary carrying the baby Jesus, surrounded by nine angels. The story goes that one of the priests tried to transfer the image of our mother the Virgin, located in the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, to the Church of Our Lady of Salvation, but it was back to its original position each time through the night miraculously, and it appeared to the priest warning him about the consequences, so this mentioned painting was purchased.

تأسّست في العام ١٨٨٩، وعيد شفيعتها في ١٥ آب

في ٣ أيلول ١٨٨٦ ، طلب أهالي زكريت من راعي الأبرشية المطران يوسف الزغبي بناء كنيسة بين منازلهم، ولما رفض المطران طلبهم كونه يتضمّن فقط ٣٤ توقيعا، عاد هؤلاء وقدموا عريضة ثانية تحمل ٧۰ توقيعا يطلبون فيها الإذن من سيادته من أجل بناء كنيسة على اسم سّيدة الخلاص وبعد إلحاح تمت على الموافقة على البناء، ثمّ عادوا ورفعوا وثيقة أخرى، لتحديد مقاييس الكنيسة، فأجاز لهم سيادته برسالة موافقة، مع اعطاء البركة، ولا تزال هاتان الوثيقتان محفوظتان ضمن محفوظات أبرشية أنطلياس المارونية. وقد تم الانتهاء من بناء الكنيسة في العام ١٨٨٩ أي بعد ثلاث سنوات من البدء به، وقد كان سقفها من القرميد الأحمر إلى أن قام الأهالي في النصف الأول من القرن العشرين، أي حوالى العام ١٩٢٥، بإبدال القرميد بسقف نصف دائري من الباطون مع إضافة القبة الموجودة حاليا والمذبح وغرفة السكرستيا، وقد قام وكلاء الوقف بتجديد الكنيسة من الداخل وتغيير شكل المذبح بعد احتراقها نتيجة ماس في الكهرباء

وقد حفرت عند مدخل الكنيسة هذه الكتابة: ” شيّد هذا المعبد على اسم سيّدة الخلاص ١٨٩٧ “. وفي ١٤ آب ١٩٠٣، كرّس راعي الأبرشية المطران نعمة الله سلوان الكنيسة. في الكنيسة لوحة لصورة سيّدة الخلاص، هي نسخة عن لوحة المادونا في كابيلاّ سيستينا- الفاتيكان للفنان الايطالي رافايلّلو، وقد نقلها الفنان دجوستي. وتظهر في هذه اللوحة، العذراء مريم وهي تحمل الطفل يسوع ، يحيط بهما تسعة ملائكة، ويروى أن أن أحد الكهنة حاول نقل صورة الأم العذراء، الموجودة في كنيسة سيدة الوردية، إلى كنيسة سيدة الخلاص ولكنها كانت تعود إلى مكانها الأصلي خلال الليل، بطريقة عجائبية وأنها ظهرت عليه محذّرة إياه من مغبّة فعلته هذه فتم شراء الصورة الآنفة الذكر