Saint Anne’s church Mother of the Virgin Mary,
Founded in 1923, and celebrating the holiday of its intercessor on 26 July.
It is the parish church of the people of the river city of Nahr El Kalb, which are sons of Zakrit who planted the land since hundred years ago with vegetables and lemon trees, particularly sweet lemon that rarely exists outside this region. The story of building this church was narrated by the late Nasar Gebrayel Yammine in 1980 and he was the representative of its committee since its construction by the French architect “Joseph Petrace” who was the supervisor of the construction of water canal dragged from Jeita Grotto to the refining plant in Dbayeh.
A friend of this engineer was in Lebanon on a visit by coincidence, and while people wanted to call the church under the name of Saint Elias which is the name that was given to the previous church that was built by town folks near the iron bridge located at the entrance of the river city towards Zakrit to establish their rituals due to the difficulty of walking within the rugged roads to the parish church of Zakrit. But Mr. Petras offered them to build the church at his own expense as long as they give the church the name of Saint Anne “Guard of France in war” so they accepted the deal and the church was built with an area of fifty square meters (10 m × 5 m) and has been renamed as well. The late Nassar told us that the building of the church was in 1923 through the money and mortar donation of Mr. Petras and the donation of construction and the purchase of the Gold Cup and the priest clothes and all other needs by the town folks. The parish has been affiliated to the Maronite Diocese of Sarba. In 1963 during the reign of the father Jnadeus El Adem, the Lebanese monasticism donated a part of the lemon orchard next to where they were expanding the church and raising the level of the roof, and also added to it the Schristia room until it took its current form, it was also been renewed the dome of the bell at the initiative of architect Jean Abdullah Hatem Yammine, and then it was added a small yard behind the church at the initiative of the architect Elie Al Badawi and with the authorization of the Lebanese monasticism, as well as the altar, that has been redesigned with its dome with the generous initiative of the son of the town Ambassador Mansour Abdullah. The engineers Adib Morcos and Elie Al Badawi Supervised the work inside the church, while the engineer Elie Al Badawi draw the icon of Christ on the altar dome with the help of the artist Sandy Joseph Yammine. This icon is a Holy Maronite Syriac art. In year 2012, a second roof was built over the old ceiling for the church and it made of red brick.
Gentlemen of the church committee in succession are each of the following: Late Gebrayel Nassar Yammine who founded in 1926 a fraternity for men only, called the Association of Mutual fraternal – Zakrit, under the protection of “Heart of Jesus”, and the late Habib Nohra Yammine, and the late Hatem Yammine until a committee of some young people of the town was assigned to do this mission.